Student Handbook


Early Graduation Requirements

The federal and state governments have made provisions for students to earn equivalency diplomas by taking and passing one of two standardized tests. The California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE) is generally offered two or more times per year. Students who are at least 15 years, 10 months of age, may take this four hour exam for a fee. Upon successful completion of this test and with written parental permission, a student may cease compulsory high school attendance. Interested students should see their counselor or visit the CHSPE web site at for further information. The General Educational Development test (GED) is offered regularly throughout the year and may be taken by any student who is at least 17 years, 10 months of age. There is a fee for the GED, which is offered at the adult school in San Luis Obispo. CHSPE and GED equivalency diplomas are accepted by community colleges and local, state and federal government agencies as equal to a high school diploma. It does not replace university admissions subject requirements and is not always accepted for military enlistment.